Heroes No More?
The controversial collaspe of the Highway some days ago has prompted many to start reminiscing about losses - lost of lives, lost of convenience, lost of time, lost of security, lost of business (for those in the nearby areas)... just to name a few.
Public figures subsequently make scheduled appearances to voice their opinions, and attempt to give commonfolks guidelines on how to react at such a 'big scale calamity'. For those who do not fall into the category of Public Figure, but whom overwhelmingly feels an urge to be part of the ongoing nationalistic campaign, call-in programmes are currently made available for them - noting however, that each person is given about 10 seconds on average to broadcast their deepest worries/condolences.
My personal belief is that one of the media centres would soon start a condolences-fund of some sort. The first level of this is to appear sympathetic toward the families of those directly affected by the misfortunate incident. Secondly, it helps to appease the common victimised spirit that clouds over our island. Thirdly, it helps digress attention - from the slow and tedious investigation process which is expected to take months to complete, as well as from the fact that there are NOT much more new images that can be put on the screen. Lastly, it is good publicity for the media station no doubt. A campaign like this - catering to the so-call 'big scale calamity' - would no doubt last a good six months at least.
Putting the non-refreshing typicality of the nationalistic syndrome aside, I start to ponder upon the existence of heroes on our motherland.
In the above incident, we are told that we have lost a hero - a foreman who went back in search of his fellow workers and consequentially lost his life. There are testimonials about this loyal and hardworking man coming forth NOW - 60 hours after his plight.
Why are heroes only heroes after they are gone?
And does this goes to imply that amongst the living, there exists no heroes?
Or is Heroism actually a spirit? And we have misinterpreted it as something that exists in a human... usually in the deceased form?
And does this habit of tributing the dead and the lost... only exist here? Or is this a pervasive phenomenon across the world?
I oftentime get stuck at my last question - because 1) I have not seen enough of the world to judge; and 2) I am not public-figure-calibre enough to pass judgment (something many of my local public figures + faithful following + advocates would).
Or am I unable to reach a conclusive answer for my last question because this is not something which any of my public figure has come forth to address?
I might have thought too much of this. And I must admit that I did overreact initially - sending sms to many people, keeping them updated with what I saw on the TV - behaving like I was carrying out a national duty of sorts.
Thankfully, my short-term memory has allowed me to get over things quickly.
Most importantly, I will not remember much of my initial actions, which I have already started to feel crinchy about. This entry, and you reading this, may be the only elements I have to help recall my passing thoughts.
Who knows? I may be a strong advocate of the condolences-fund campaign if my memory fails me by then.
Haha.
<< Home