星期二, 11月 30, 2004

Grandma's 85th Birthday

If Grandma was still around, she would have turned 85 today.

But she decided to leave 4 years ago.

+ 8 months, 9 days to be exact...

I wonder if PJs sellers know when people's grandams passes away... cos they see their young buyers patronise about twice a year... once during Xmas and the other time during whenever-grandma's-bday-is. When the patron stops appearing, it's gotta mean that they either got ALL the designs of mini floral PJs you've got, or their grandmas have passed on... isn't it?

Grandma always trusted me and at least being the only person who'd remember her birthday. Maybe cos I wasn't very bright at anything from young. I guess it amazes her as much as it does for me, that I can remember lunar calendar 十月初十九...

But what was a pride back then at being able to surprise her with my memory of the date... has now become a bookmark for sorrow as I can only think back on the very few number of occasions when her birthday was celebrated... the very few sets of PJs that me and my siblings supposedly 'shared' for her (cos mom paid for them)...

Right now, I want so much to apologise to all those whom I've given nothing but an Ang Bao to for their birthdays. And thank god that I never lived the days where my grandma's birthday present from me is an Ang Bao. She would have no use for the money on a special day like this.

It must be depressing to be 70+... know that you haven't got many birthdays left, and yet, you only get money for your birthday... isn't it? If your children & grandchildren gives you moeny for your birthday, not only does it potentially mean that they don't give you enough money on a regular basis... it probably mean that still don't know what's your heart desire.

My family out there... Grandma only wanted us to talk to her every Sunday when her children are there for Mahjong. That's what she pines for the rest of the 6 days. How many of you do that?

I might have been a sticky grandchild who'd cry the hell over when my parents drag me home, disallow me to stayover at grandma's place.

But the old lady was on her deathbed... waiting for the day to come in the last 3 years.

I have all the time in the world till that day comes for me now.

But she isn't around to receive my PJs anymore.

0 Comments:

發佈留言

<< Home