星期一, 6月 21, 2004

Howz It Goin'?

I know I seem like I hate A LOT of things...

But I just figured out last night that I hate it when people ask me "How's it going?"... or "Howz it goin'?" (the latter has the cannot-make-it ang mo wannabe twang factored in).

It's just such a stupid question in itself... especially if it is an opening question!

Everytime someone asks me that question, I SERIOUSLY wonder - how is WHO/WHAT going WHERE??!!?
And so, that is what I have replied in return to people who ask me such an idiotic question.

I don't know what else I can answer, cos', LOOK! There had been no subject, no question whatsoever posed prior to that, which would have otherwise allowed me to understand what is the 'it' referred to in the question.

Which means to say, 'it' can refer to just about anything isn't it?

How am I supposed to know if you are referring to the fats on my thighs? The ex-pimple on my face? My pet terrapins who were given away 3 years ago? My niece's new imaginary friend? My mom's permanent headache? Or my bro's on-going promiscuity?

Huh? Huh?? Huh???

The next time anyone asks me Howz It Goin', I think I would try replying excitedly: "Oh, IT multiplied!!" Then let the idiot feel confused while I smile back. Then wait till the cockbrain asks me what I am talking about, before I come up with another guai lan reply, depending on my mood and remaining patience.

Or, I can start forming tears in my eyes (which is not terribly difficult cos I am the sort who can cry anytime, anywhere, reason or without), give a forlorn dazed look, wait for 5 secs, and say: "It... it... it... crawled under my bed, got stuck there without my knowledge, and died! *add sobs and flowing tears at this point* I... I only found it 2 days later when it started giving away a bad smell..."

Not like that makes any sense of course. But then, neither did the question in the first place isn't it?

Alternatively, I may roll my eyes of course. It's probably a matter of time before I roll them at the person who asked me such a lack-of-effort question anyway.

But, an ultimate loserly question that goes along the likes of "YOzz... Howz it goin' mannnn?" should allow me to throw a punch into the loser's face. Maybe that would help to get his big ideas rearranged.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 上午, Blogger Abigael said...

Muah haha ... ah lian, ho sei boh?

What works for me is to threaten to tell them the full story. Horrors ...

B: Oei, long time no see .. How's it going?
A:That depends on what you're referring to.
B:Life in general lor.
A:Not fab.
B:Really ah?
A:Yea. Come lah, want to hear all about it?

At this point, you have to watch for the alarm on their face, 2 seconds of pause and you can hear their empty vessels working double speed on an excuse for not hearing you out.

But ah .. the masters of asking and answering such questions comes in the form of Ah Pehs. If you ever overhear a conversation between contractors that originated from "Ho Sei Boh?", you will be amazed by the variations of answers that they can come up with. Can't think of any examples now, but they usually start with "Lim peh ..." and range from their defunct sex life to football to the in-growth nail on their toes.

So you are absolutely right for telling them about the unknown creature under your bed. Absolutely.

 

發佈留言

<< Home